Where She Went - Gayle Forman
“But I’d do it again. I know that now. I’d make that promise a thousand times over and lose her a thousand times over to have heard her play last night or to see her in the morning sunlight. Or even without that. Just to know that she’s somewhere out there. Alive.”

•••••••••••••••••••••

“And then Adam Wilde shows up at Carnegie Hall on the biggest night of my career, and it felt like more than a coincidence. It felt like a gift. From them. For my first recital ever, they gave me a cello. And for this one, they gave me you.”

•••••••••••••••••••••

“The band. When you’re with the band, I already have to share you with everyone. I don’t want to add my family to that pot, too.” Then she lost the battle and started to cry.
All my annoyance melted. “You dumb-ass,” I crooned, kissing her on the forehead. “You don’t share me. You own me.”

Half of the time I was reading the book, I was kind of frustrated and depressed. Because I didn't understand how everything just fell apart between Adam and Mia. And I can't fathom why would they ever start dating other people when they're supposed to stay loyal to their one true love? I guess I'm just being dramatic and did not realize that even though they are stuck with the ghost of each other's past, life moves on. And so would they. They must move on and grow up and face life as bravely as they can even if they are not together anymore.

What I noticed with this sequel is that it's somehow alike to Just One Day. Really, I just can't stop talking about the epic-ness of that book. :)) Of how Adam and Mia lost and then found each other again. It is like the story of how they embark on a journey of figuring out each other again and of remembering how epic their love was and is.

“So this would be like your farewell tour?” Of New York? Of me?
A little late for me.”

But you know what, all throughout the book I feel pity for Adam. Because after everything he did after the accident, after taking care of her, the break-up is the thank you he has gotten in return. The frustrating part also was how the two of them kinda danced around each other too worried like they were about to step on a mime! And I know how hard it was for Mia to "stay" but I still think Adam didn't deserve what he went through. But then the pain I felt for Adam slowly blurs as I see their happy ending. Because believe me at first I wasn't so sure whether they'll get theirs. I'm hesitant and doubtful whether they will still end up together or whether the story will settle for each other's closure. And I love the uncertainty this book gives off because at least it keeps me on my toes, holding my breath waiting for them to finally just GET ON WITH IT! Which they did. And I'm glad. :")

“This time we’re wide awake. And all together”

And to throw in for good measure, I believe what Mia's mom said about them falling in love. It's not the one taken out of a highschool romance where everyone knows someday it will blow off. What they had and have is real. It's solidified and cemented. What they have is mature. And once again Forman amazed me on how crazy and real the love of these two people have for each other. It didn't sound cliche nor too cheesy. It was perfect. Romantic even. Once again Forman did the unthinkable of creating a love that is believable. And you know what? At the end, whatever bullshit they went through did not matter. At all. As long as they are together, I'm good with that :")

“And then I start singing the chorus. Right to her. And she smiles at me, and it’s like we’re the only two people out here, the only ones who know what’s happening. Which is that this song we’re all singing together is being rewritten. It’s no longer an angry plea shouted to the void. Right here, on this stage, in front of eighty thousand people, it’s becoming something else.
This is our new vow.”